Author Topic: Sheffield...... again!  (Read 3850 times)

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
Sheffield...... again!
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:37:25 AM »
Hi all,

My pride and joy 1995 Defender 90 300tdi hardtop in blue was stolen off my drive in Bradway, Sheffield in the early hours of this morning.

I am absolutely gutted and am somewhat alarmed to see how often this is happening in the Sheffield area, presumably with a very low recovery rate.

A picture is attached, although it doesn't look quite so shiny now!

Reg is N542FFR, spare tyre cover on the back door reads 'Dillers 4x4, The Land Rover Enthusiasts".

Cheers,

Steve H

Offline sparg

• Secure Group
  • Sr. LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield...... again!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
 :o >:(

They are really working the area! - there just has to be a chopshop nearby.
immobiliser? security lights - any other measures?

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »
Alas no extra security but after speaking to the police they seem to be a pretty skilled bunch and are bypassing security systems anyway.

It was on the drive in front my house so they're pretty cheeky.  Apparently they'd tried to get another one just a few hundred yards away earlier in the night and been disturbed.  The policeman said [method removed by mods]and getting them started that way?  Not something I've seen myself before....

The good news (if there is any) is that SY Police have identified this as a problem and a dedicated CID team has been set up purely to tackle Defender theft in the Sheffield / South Yorkshire area.  It's heartening to hear the police are taking it seriously (but annoying they couldn't have found some way of letting us Defender owners in the area know about this!).

The feeling is they they're being broken for parts and not being sold complete so once they're gone, they're probably gone.  It could be being stripped as I type... :'(

So - Defender owners in Sheffield, take off your wheels at night!

Steve
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:40:30 PM by hallio »

Offline admin

• AKA Rik
  • Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
  • LandyWatch Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LandyWatch
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
Alas no extra security but after speaking to the police they seem to be a pretty skilled bunch and are bypassing security systems anyway.

It was on the drive in front my house so they're pretty cheeky.  Apparently they'd tried to get another one just a few hundred yards away earlier in the night and been disturbed.  The policeman said [method removed by mods] at the front and getting them started that way?  Not something I've seen myself before....

The good news (if there is any) is that SY Police have identified this as a problem and a dedicated CID team has been set up purely to tackle Defender theft in the Sheffield / South Yorkshire area.  This does involve plain clothes and undercover work so it's heartening to hear the police are taking it seriously (but annoying they couldn't have found some way of letting us Defender owners in the area know about this!).

The feeling is they they're being broken for parts and not being sold complete so once they're gone, they're probably gone.  It could be being stripped as I type... :'(

So - Defender owners in Sheffield, take off your wheels at night!

Steve

Any chance we could get this dedicated CID team on board with LandyWatch?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:59:16 PM by Party Monkey »

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
There is certainly a good argument for greater communication between all concerned, yes.

Someone is due to call me in the next 24 hours to go over it in more detail so i'll mention it.

Steve

Offline admin

• AKA Rik
  • Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
  • LandyWatch Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LandyWatch
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
There is certainly a good argument for greater communication between all concerned, yes.

Someone is due to call me in the next 24 hours to go over it in more detail so i'll mention it.

Steve

Cheers Steve

Online Landy1uk

• Hero LandyWatcher
  • Social Networking Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
Sorry to hear of this will post on facebook and Twitter as soon as i can,

Have been twittering with quit a few Police forces, including s/yorks. to get the Landywatch name known

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
Cheers.  The rental company rep who supplied me with a car while this gets sorted out says this is the third car he's provided to people with stolen Defenders in Sheffield *this week*.  And this is just one rep, in one office, for one car company so it's a pretty serious issue.

It makes me think twice about replacing it to be honest.

Offline John Boy

• Sr. LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »
Crikey, I'm so sad to hear this.
We are always getting scrap men driving up and down our streets, but yesterday there was a recovery truck driving up and down looking down every ones drive.
I've got the number and have passed it on to the police.
Who wants to be the first if these scum are caught!

Offline sparg

• Secure Group
  • Sr. LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
We should put a price on their heads!
 :)

Offline seligo

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
Let's hope the CID turn up trumps and get these barstewards!!   >:(

Offline Party Monkey

• Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »
Sorry to hear chap  :(

I've taken the liberty of just editing out a couple of bits on the posts so that we don't further educate and scally wannabees
Jon - 110 Td5

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
Good plan.  Don't want to help them do we!?  I also removed a couple of bits re: the police too.
Steve

Offline Party Monkey

• Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
Good plan.  Don't want to help them do we!?  I also removed a couple of bits re: the police too.
Steve

Certainly don't want to help them but I do like the idea of making them aware that the SY police are on the case, using both overt and covert tic-tacs  ;D

They will unquestionably be reading this and the other LR forums so the more they know we know and indeed the police know, the better..... if that makes sense.
Jon - 110 Td5

Offline hallio

• LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
I just saw a classified ad on eBay that stated *another* Defender in Sheffield (Stocksbridge) was stolen in the early hours of this morning.  This is ludicrous.  The ad was placed to raise awareness so people could be aware if offered a cheap vehicle or parts...

Re: mine I've heard nothing from the police which I'm pretty hacked off about.  They've not even been round or called me to get more details of the vehicle and anything that may help identify it what was in it.  I called them today and someone is supposedly going to call me tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve

Statistics -

LandyWatch Forum - Keeping an eye on your Land Rover - Info Center

Forum Stats Forum Stats

7419 Posts in 1211 Topics by 1172 Members. Latest Member: CRW
View the most recent posts on the forum.
[More Stats]

Users Online Users Online

23 Guests, 2 Users (5 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Landy1uk, CRW, Yahoo!, Google (3), Baidu

Most Online Today: 43. Most Online Ever: 91 (October 16, 2012, 05:59:14 PM)