Author Topic: Heads up! - sheffield north and west, northeast derbyshire  (Read 619 times)

Offline sparg

• Secure Group
  • Sr. LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
Heads up! - sheffield north and west, northeast derbyshire
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
Just been told of two more - hathersage and calver - they are organised and definitely working the area.
both taken from the drive, both with immobiliser on - very quick, silent, professional.
These crims are fairly fearless, good at what they do.
 Defensive measures are impediments, but not worrying - the adrenaline rush of nicking something overrides sensible caution - "he who dares, wins"
They need to be banged up.
please advise any owners you meet to take extraordinary precautions, and think about non-standard (though not strictly illegal!) measures, combinations of measures - covert as well as overt - to protect your LR
Could I suggest to admin that a simple sticker: "Leave your Defender unattended, for two minutes, and I'll have it - signed: a seriously clever villain" - we can stick them on any defender we come across. We all chip in a few quid, get some stickers (bit like parking tickets) and bung 'em on when we see one parked. Bit of an explanation on the back, mentioning this site.
basically, thieves are like scavengers, rats - if there's food around,  they will proliferate.

It's time we went proactive - which really is what this site is about..?

Offline Party Monkey

• Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heads up! - sheffield north and west, northeast derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
Thanks for the additional info ref Sheffield area thefts,  I've posted the key points over on Defender2.net forum.      Would be good if folk can post this on other forums that they frequent too (if not already done so by OP)

Could I suggest to admin that a simple sticker: "Leave your Defender unattended, for two minutes, and I'll have it - signed: a seriously clever villain" - we can stick them on any defender we come across. We all chip in a few quid, get some stickers (bit like parking tickets) and bung 'em on when we see one parked. Bit of an explanation on the back, mentioning this site.
basically, thieves are like scavengers, rats - if there's food around,  they will proliferate.

Agree that the main way to fight these scumbags generally is to get the word out there across the LR owning community.    I think across all the media (LR mags/forums/TV/LR clubs etc) that the owners are becoming more aware that their trucks (partic. Defenders) are prime targets but I'm not sure that  folk are taking the extra measures (even the ones that don't cost anything) that could help to deter a thief.     

Your 'parking ticket' idea is a good shout.   Am also happy to chip in to get something sorted.    Like the idea of a sticker put on the windscreen providing it can be easily removed by the owner :)

Rik - could your Landywatch sticker suppliers do something along these lines for us ?
Jon - 110 Td5

Offline admin

• AKA Rik
  • Administrator
  • Hero LandyWatcher
  • LandyWatch Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LandyWatch
Re: Re: Heads up! - sheffield north and west, northeast derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the additional info ref Sheffield area thefts,  I've posted the key points over on Defender2.net forum.      Would be good if folk can post this on other forums that they frequent too (if not already done so by OP)

Agree that the main way to fight these scumbags generally is to get the word out there across the LR owning community.    I think across all the media (LR mags/forums/TV/LR clubs etc) that the owners are becoming more aware that their trucks (partic. Defenders) are prime targets but I'm not sure that  folk are taking the extra measures (even the ones that don't cost anything) that could help to deter a thief.     

Your 'parking ticket' idea is a good shout.   Am also happy to chip in to get something sorted.    Like the idea of a sticker put on the windscreen providing it can be easily removed by the owner :)

Rik - could your Landywatch sticker suppliers do something along these lines for us ?

I don't see why this couldn't be done.

I will sort something out when I get back from sunny Wales next week.

Statistics -

LandyWatch Forum - Keeping an eye on your Land Rover - Info Center

Forum Stats Forum Stats

7548 Posts in 1187 Topics by 1079 Members. Latest Member: Baz
View the most recent posts on the forum.
[More Stats]

Users Online Users Online

5 Guests, 1 User (1 Spider)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
SVR, Baidu

Most Online Today: 25. Most Online Ever: 91 (October 16, 2012, 05:59:14 PM)